ADOR - Individual & Corporate Tax - 2013 Form 40NR Calculate Fillable form instructions
for 2013 Form 40NR with Calculations
40NR has been enhanced to complete all calculations and to compute the amount
of tax due. Just key in your data prior to printing the form.
IMPORTANT: If you choose
to use the fill-in option, please do not handwrite any other data on the form
other than your signature. Also, do not attach the pre-printed label to the form. It will cause problems with processing. Your information will be included in the 2-D barcode.
for downloading forms
MUST have a copy of Adobe
Acrobat Reader 9.0 or later , Adobe Acrobat Professional or Adobe Acrobat Standard installed on your computer in order
to view and print these forms. These forms willl not work on other products on MAC Preview. You can download a copy from the Adobe website.
It is also necessary to use Internet Explorer
9.0 or later versions in order to accurately view or download these
Fields - The fields highlighted in yellow are read-only fields
and no data can be entered in these fields. Data can be entered in the fields
shown in white.
- Fields Not Required - If you have a field that you do not need to file out, please leave the field blank and do not enter "NONE" or "N/A" in the field.
- Pre-printed Label - Do not attach your pre-printed label to the form. This information is included in the 2-D barcode information. If you attach the pre-printed label it could cause problems with processing your return.
- Interest and Dividend Income
- If you have Interest and Dividend Income less than $1,500, you still need
to fill out the Schedule B. Click on the GO TO SCHEDULE B Button and enter
your information. Then press the Return to Page 1 button to return to the
- Personal Exemption
- The personal exemption will not calculate until the Income information has been entered. The Personal exemption is based on a percentage. The percentage is calculated by dividing Adjusted Total Income from Alabama by Adjusted Total Income from All Sources. Therefore, your income information must be entered before the exemption can be computed.
- The buttons in Blue are there to navigate to the different pages. You also
can move to the different screen by using the navigation buttons available
in Acrobat and Acrobat Reader.
- You must use the green PRINT FORM button to print your form. If you try to print
the form using the Print command in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, you will get
one page with a statement and six blank pages.
- Alabama Income Tax Withheld from 1099R or W-2Gs - If you have Alabama income tax withheld from your 1099R or W-2G, enter the tax withheld on line 6, Column A of Form 40NR, Page 1, enter a zero in Columns B and C for Income. Enter the income amount of the Pension/Annuities on lines 3 of page 2, Part I of the Form 40NR. Enter your Gambling Winnings on line 8, Column B and the Alabama portion in line 8, Column C of Part I, Page 2 of the Form 40NR. IRA distributions are reported on lines 3 of Page 2, Part I of the Form 40NR.
Deposit of Refunds - The Direct Deposit option is currently not available
for the Form 40NR.
If you have Adobe Reader 11.0, you will have the ability to save your form. If not, an option is available for Adobe Reader version 9.0 and below. The Adobe Reader Version 8.0 will be added soon. The Form 40NR is equipped with a MFS Option that will allow you to save your work in Acrobat Reader. This option allows you to fill out your return and continue working on it later. If you are filling out your form and are unable to complete it, close the form and the Acrobat Reader. When you reopen the reader and the form, your information will automatically fill in with the saved information. This option DOES NOT save the form but only saves the information. Therefore, you will still need to print out a copy for your records when you have completed the form. You will not be able to save your return unless you have the complete
version of Acrobat.
- Military Spouses Residency Relief Act - During the last session of the United States Congress, the “Military Spouses Residency Relief Act” (Public Law 111-97) was passed and signed in to law by President Obama. Under this Act, the income for services performed by the spouse of a service member shall not be deemed to be income for services performed or from sources within a tax jurisdiction of the United States if the spouse is not a resident of the jurisdiction in which the income is earned because the spouse is in the jurisdiction solely to be with the service member serving in compliance with military orders. This law was retroactive to January 1, 2009.
Since Alabama tax may have been withheld for tax year 2009 on spouses that qualify for this exemption, a 2009 Alabama non-resident (Form 40NR) income tax return must be filed to claim a refund of the Alabama taxes withheld. Taxpayers filing an Alabama income tax return under this Act must use the following procedures to complete their tax return:
- Taxpayer must file a Form 40NR.
- The Alabama withholding tax must be entered on page 1, line 5, column A.
- All wages (both spouses if a joint return) must be entered on page 1, line 5, column B.
- All Alabama wages including those of the qualifying spouse must be entered on page 1, line 5, column C.
- On page 2, Part I, line 8, column C enter the Alabama wages of the qualifying spouse as a negative figure. Also write or type â€œMilitary Spouses Residency Relief Actâ€� in the space provided on line 8.
- Complete the rest of the return as per the instructions in the tax booklet or form.
- A copy of Form DD2058 indicating the state of legal residence of the spouse in the military must be attached.
If you have any problems
or suggestions, please CONTACT US under Troubleshooting for Forms.