Who is an Automotive Dismantler & Part Recycler?
A person, firm or corporation shall be presumed to be engaging in the business of an automotive dismantler and parts recycler if such person, firm or corporation shall possess 10 or more inoperable motor vehicles for more than 30 days. This does not include licensed repair businesses holding vehicles awaiting repairs, or licensed junk dealers holding vehicles for the purpose of recycling scrap metal. Further, it does not include any entity which repairs reconstructs or reconditions its own vehicles for its own use or which disposes of a vehicle acquired for its own use. (Section 40-12-410, Code of Alabama 1975)
Who is required to be licensed?
Every person, firm, or corporation desiring to engage in the business of an automotive dismantler and parts recycler shall apply by submitting an application electronically at the required application and fee at https://mvlicense.mvtrip.alabama.gov/
The license year runs from October 1 through September 30 and it must be renewed by October 31st each year. After October 31st, a 15% penalty and applicable interest will be charged.
(Section 40-12-415, Code of Alabama 1975)
- Requirements for Dismantler License
- $25,000 Surety Bond – The signed bond and Power of Attorney must be submitted with the dismantler license transmittal document. The bond form will be available when the electronic application has been completed.
- $225 License Cost – Must be paid online with a credit card. Dismantler licenses renewed after September 30 will be subject to a 15% penalty.
- NMVTIS ID Number-Anyone applying for a dismantler & parts recycler license must already have a National Motor Vehicle Title Information System registration number. If you need to apply for an NMVTIS number, you may do so at: http://www.aamva.org/nmvtis-Reporting-Service/ or for more info: http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_auto.html. THE NMVTIS NUMBER IS MANDATORY.
- Applying for Dismantler License
- Applicants must submit an electronic application via https://mvlicense.mvtrip.alabama.gov. If you already have a Dealer Regulatory License, you should use your dealer license log on to apply for a dismantler license.
- If you don’t have a Dealer license, you must register to setup your account in the MV license system by selecting “In-state registration.” After the registration is completed, click log in to apply for the dismantler license.
- Each of the fields must be completed in order to move to the next screen.
- Payment must be made via credit card.
- Print the required documents and submit to the Department.
- Your application should be reviewed within 2 to 4 business days. If approved, you will receive an email inviting you to login to the system and print your license. If there are errors, you will receive an email requesting corrections.
Applying for Buyer’s Identification (BID) Cards
Cost is $10.00 per card. Limit three per license year. Previous year BID cards may be used until October 31 of each year.
Licensed dismantlers from other states may also apply for BID cards. Out of state license holders should register your account by selecting “out of state registration” if logging into the MV license system for the first time. You must upload a legible copy of the dismantler’s license issued by another state. Note: There is no charge for the out-of-state dismantler account. The only charge is for the BID cards.
- Log onto the Motor Vehicle License Portal: https://mvlicense.mvtrip.alabama.gov.
- Click on the plus sign to apply for a BID card.
- Fill in each application for the individual cardholder. Please note that whatever you type on the application will appear on the card, so verify full names, spelling and capitalization. The information should match the applicant’s identification (driver’s license or non-driver ID).
- You must upload a legible copy of the applicant’s current driver’s license and the dismantler’s license issued by another state.
- Payment must be made via credit card.
- You will receive notice of approval via e-mail when your buyer ID card has been approved or disapproved.
- When approved, you should be able to log in to your account to view and print your buyer ID card.
Make sure all email addresses provided are correct. This will be the means by which this office will contact you should additional info or corrections be needed.