Reserve a Personalized Tag
Click Here To Print This Page
- Code Section: 40-12-244, 40-12-254, 32-6-130, 32-6-250.1, and 32-6-231.1
- Secondary Tag Type(s):
- 01 (Disability Access)
- MC (Motorcycle Pre-numbered)
- M1 (Motorcycle Disability)
- Series Began: January 2018
- A resident of Alabama who is a service-connected disabled veteran may purchase license plates in this category.
- Prior to purchasing this plate the veteran must provide a US Department of Veterans Affairs disability rating certification and one of the following:
- proper identification card
- Affidavit from Veteran Affairs
- The Application for Disability Access Parking Privileges must be provided to obtain the disability access license plate.
- Disabled veterans are not required to obtain the Disabled Veteran distinctive license plate in order to claim the registration fee exemption/reduction.
- Disabled Veteran distinctive license plates may not be personalized.
- The plates in this category are not transferable between vehicle owners.
- This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:
- Private passenger automobiles
- pickup trucks
- Veterans qualifying under Section 32-6-130 for the $5 plate may display the plate on all weight pleasure motor vehicles.
- pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles) not exceeding 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight where disability does not exceed 50 percent.
- The license plate design changes every (5) years.
- The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may not obtain the plate.
- The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may not retain the plate.
Primary Tag Types
|US Air Force
|US Coast Guard
|US Marine Corps
|US Merchant Marines
|US National Guard
|10% or higher disability
||First plate exempt from registration fees (Section 40-12-244)
|Over 50% disability or vehicle has special mechanical control devices
||$5.00 annual fee (Section 32-6-130)
|Vehicle all or partly paid for by US Department of Veterans Affairs
||First plate exempt from registration fees and ad valorem tax (Section 40-12-254)
US Air Force
US Coast Guard
US Marine Corps
US Merchant Marine
US National Guard