- Code Section: Section 32-6-280
- Primary Tag Type(s): RF (Pre-numbered)
- Secondary Tag Type(s): MC (Motorcycle Pre-numbered)
- Series Began: January 2012
All residents of Alabama who are vehicle owners and retired members of a paid or part-paid fire department of the state may purchase license plates in this category.
The Firefighters’ Personnel Standards and Education Commission will provide a list of all eligible retired firefighters from paid or part-paid fire departments on their website for the county licensing officials’ offices. The registrant’s name must appear on this list in order to be eligible to receive the Retired Firefighter license plate. If the registrant’s name is not on the list, the registrant may present to the licensing official proof of his or her retirement from a fire department by means of a certificate signed by the chief officer of the fire department on the Certificate of Eligibility for Retired Firefighter License Plates (see below for certificate.) Proof is not required for renewal of the license plate.
The plates may not be personalized.
The plates are not transferable between vehicle owners.
This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:
- private passenger automobiles
- pickup trucks
- pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles) not exceeding 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
The license plate design changes every five (5) years.
Individual plates are ordered On Demand through the Plate Reservation and Ordering System (PROS). Counties may place bulk orders using the Alabama Inventory Management System (AIMS).
- Registration: $15.00- $105.00 depending on the type of vehicle being registered
- Additional fees:
- $0.25 annually
- $5.00 when metal plate is issued
- The net proceeds of the $0.25 will be distributed into a fund managed by the Alabama Joint Fire Council and shall be used for the purpose of expanding and maintaining the Alabama Firefighter Memorial located in Tuscaloosa.
- The net proceeds of the $5 shall be distributed to the Department of Revenue.
Retired, Paid, and Part-Paid Firefighter Tag Certificates
Paid and Volunteer Firefighter Tag Certificates
Firefighter Tag Certificate for Widow/er Killed in the Line of Duty
Firefighter Tag Lists
Alabama Fire College Tag List
Volunteer Firefighter Tag List