Click Here To Print This Page
- Code Section: 32-6-351 and 40-12-244
- Administrative Rule: 810-5-1-.201
- Primary Tag Type(s): US
- Secondary Tag Type(s): MC (Motorcycle Pre-numbered)
- Series Began: August 2016
All residents of Alabama who are active members of the United States Armed Forces Reserve may purchase license plates in this category.
The applicant must provide an Active Reserve identification card or common access card (CAC) and an affidavit signed by the unit commander confirming the reservist/vehicle owner remains in military service and is entitled to the registration fee exemption.
The plates may not be personalized.
The plates in this category are not transferable between vehicle owners.
This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:
- private passenger automobiles
- pickup trucks
- pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles) not exceeding 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
The license plate design changes every five (5) years.
The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may not obtain the plate.
The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may not retain the plate.
There is no limit to the number of plates the registrant may obtain.
Individual plates are ordered On Demand through the Plate Reservation and Ordering System (PROS). Counties can place bulk orders using the Alabama Inventory Management System (AIMS).
- The registrant is exempt from registration fees for the first plate but must pay ad valorem taxes.
- All applicable registration fees and ad valorem taxes must be remitted for any additional plates issued. These fees vary from $15.00-$105.00, based on vehicle type.
- Active Reserve members are not required to purchase the Active Reserve distinctive license plate in order to claim a registration fee exemption.