Click Here To Print This Page
- Code Section: 32-6-250, 32-6-250.1, and 32-6-231.1
- Primary Tag Type(s): VH
- Secondary Tag Type(s):
- 01 (Disability Access)
- MC (Motorcycle Pre-numbered)
- M1 (Motorcycle Disability)
- Series Began: January 2018
Any resident of the State of Alabama who shows by satisfactory proof that he or she is a recipient of the Purple Heart medal may purchase license plates in this category.
To qualify for the plate the veteran must provide one of the following:
- certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs as provided by Section 32-6-350(d), Code of Alabama 1975. Please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for specific documentation required by the Department of Veterans Affairs; or
- Affidavit from Veteran Affairs
The Application for Disability Access Parking Privileges must be provided to obtain the disability access license plate.
The plates may not be personalized.
The distinctive license plate follows the owner and is not transferable between vehicle owners.
This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:
- private passenger automobiles
- pickup trucks
- pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles) not exceeding 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
This is a permanent plate – the design does not change
The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may not obtain the plate.
The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may retain the plate.
There is no limit to the number of plates the registrant may obtain.
Individual plates are ordered On Demand through the Plate Reservation and Ordering System (PROS).
- The registrant is exempt from registration fees (but not ad valorem taxes) for the first plate.
- All applicable registration fees and ad valorem taxes must be remitted for any additional plates obtained.
- The registration fees range from $15.00 to $105.00 depending on the type of vehicle being registered.