- Sponsoring Organization: Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs
- Code Section: Section 32-6-630
- Primary Tag Type(s): OH
- Secondary Tag Type (s):
- 02 (Personalized)
- MC (Motorcycle Pre-numbered)
- M2 (Motorcycle Personalized)
- Series Began: January 2016
All residents of Alabama who are vehicle owners and members of the immediate family of a person who has died while on active duty in any branch of the U.S. military may purchase license plates in this category.
The plates may be personalized.
Personalized license plates in this category are transferable, at the option of the transferor, to the transferor’s spouse or child upon payment of the transfer fees.
This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:
- private passenger automobiles
- pickup trucks
- pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles) not exceeding 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
The license plate design changes every five (5) years.
Individual plates are ordered On Demand through the Plate Reservation and Ordering System (PROS).
One of the following must be presented by the registrant prior to purchasing this plate:
- DD Form 2064 – Overseas Death Certificate or prior era Department of Defense Death Certificate
- DD Form 1300 – Report of Casualty
- If the applicant is not identified as the next of kin on one of the documents listed above, the applicant must submit a notarized affidavit obtained from the Alabama Department of Veterans’ Affairs, certifying applicant’s relationship to the deceased service member
- The registrant is exempt from registration fees, ad valorem taxes and any additional fees for the first plate.
- All applicable registration fees, ad valorem taxes and any additional fees must be remitted for any additional plates obtained.
- $15.00 to $105.00 depending on the type of vehicle being registered.
- Additional fees:
- $3.00 in the years in which a metal plate is issued
- $50.00 annually for personalized
- The net proceeds of the $53.00 are distributed to base in accordance with the provisions of Sections 40-12-269 and 40-12-270, Code of Alabama 1975.