- Sponsoring Organization: N/A
- Code Section: Section 32-6-302
- Primary Tag Type(s): ED (Pre-numbered Active)/ER (Pre-numbered Retired)
- Secondary Tag Type(s):
- 02 (Personalized)
- MC (Motorcycle Pre-numbered)
- M2 (Motorcycle Personalized)
- Series Began: May 2017
The plates may be personalized.
The plates are not transferable between vehicle owners.
This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:
- private passenger automobiles
- pickup trucks
- pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles)
The license plate design changes every five (5) years.
How are these plates ordered? Individual plates are ordered On Demand through the Plate Reservation and Ordering System (PROS). Counties may place bulk orders using the Alabama Inventory Management System (AIMS).
- Active – All residents of Alabama who are currently employed by a public or private education school system, college, university, institution, or who are active and contributing members of an education retirement pension program, whether it is an in-state or out-of-state program may receive a distinctive Educator license plate with an “Educator” decal.
- Retired – All residents of Alabama who are receiving monthly retirement checks from an education retirement pension program from any state may receive a distinctive Educator license plate with a “Retired Educator” decal.
- Active – The registrant is required to present documentation or certification to the license plate issuing official that the registrant is currently employed in public or private education as provided by law. Documentation must be presented annually in order to substantiate that the registrant is eligible to obtain these license plates.
- Retired – The registrant is required to present documentation to the license plate issuing official that he/she is receiving a monthly allotment as a retired education employee. Once a retired educator presents proof that he or she is retired, the proof shall be valid from year to year and the retired educator is not required to resubmit proof of retirement as long as the retired educator does not move to another county. If the retired educator moves to another county, proof of retirement shall be presented upon initial registration in the new county and shall be valid from year to year thereafter.
- Registration: $15.00- $890.00 depending on the type of vehicle being registered
- Additional fees:
- Active: $50.00 annually for pre-numbered or personalized plate
- Retired: $25.00 annually for pre-numbered or personalized plate. $5.00 when metal plate is issued
- $5.00 when metal plate is issued
- The net proceeds of the $50.00 (active) or $25.00 (retired) are distributed to the Alabama Penny Trust Fund. The net proceeds of the $5 shall be distributed to the Department of Revenue.