- Sponsoring Organization: N/A
- Code Section: 32-6-270, 32-6-272 and 40-12-244
- Primary Tag Type(s): FD (Pre-numbered)
- Secondary Tag Type(s): MC (Motorcycle Pre-numbered)
- Series Began: December 2017
The plates may not be personalized.
The plates are not transferable between vehicle owners.
This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:
- private passenger automobiles
- pickup trucks
- pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles) not exceeding 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
The license plate design changes every five (5) years.
Individual plates are ordered On Demand through the Plate Reservation and Ordering System (PROS). Counties may place bulk orders using the Alabama Inventory Management System (AIMS).
All residents of Alabama who are vehicle owners and active or retired firefighters of a paid, part-paid or volunteer fire department or widows or widowers of firefighters who died in the line of duty may purchase license plates in this category. Retired volunteer firefighter includes a person who retired from a volunteer fire department in another state and meets the requirements of the law.
- The Alabama Forestry Commission will provide a list of eligible volunteer firefighters and the Firefighters’ Personnel Standards and Education Commission will provide a list of all members of paid or part-paid fire departments on their websites for the licensing officials’ offices. The registrant’s name must appear on one of these lists in order to be eligible to receive the Firefighter license plate.
- If the registrant’s name is not on the list, the registrant may present to the licensing official proof of his or her membership in a fire department by means of certificate signed by the chief officer of the applicant on a form prescribed by the Alabama Forestry Commission.
- Widows/widowers must present a certificate from the Alabama Forestry Commission signed by the chief of the fire fighter’s fire department.
- Registration: $15.00- $105.00 depending on the type of vehicle being registered
- A volunteer firefighter who is a resident of Alabama is entitled to a registration fee exemption for one vehicle as provided for in Code Section 40-12-244. The exemption extends only for the purchase of a Firefighter distinctive license plate. The exemption does not extend to retired volunteer firefighters.
- Additional fees:
- $.25 annually
- $5.00 when metal plate is issued
- The net proceeds of the $.25 will be distributed into a fund managed by the Alabama Joint Fire Council and shall be used for the purpose of expanding and maintaining the Alabama Firefighter Memorial located in Tuscaloosa.
- The net proceeds of the $5 shall be distributed to the Department of Revenue.
Retired, Paid, and Part-Paid Firefighter Tag Certificates
Paid and Volunteer Firefighter Tag Certificates
Firefighter Tag Certificate for Widow/er Killed in the Line of Duty
Firefighter Tag Lists
Alabama Fire College Tag List
Volunteer Firefighter Tag List