The taxrates.txt file is a comma-delimited text file (i.e. fields separated by commas), that contains local tax rate information for all Alabama cities and counties that levy a sales, use, lodgings or rental tax. (Includes both state-administered local taxes, as well as nonstate-administered local taxes.) This text file should be compatible with practically any spreadsheet or database application. This file will be updated on a monthly basis by the Sales & Use Tax Division. The help.txt file is a Help file intended to be used with the downloadable taxrates.txt file.
- taxrates.txt – Original file which includes current and historical information. (Updated for January 2021: 12/30/2020 @ 5:27 p.m. CST)
- taxrates_current.txt – A “taxrates” file with current, active information only. (Updated for January 2021: 12/30/2020 @ 5:27 p.m. CST)
- help.txt (Help File provides instructions and descriptions of the data included in the taxrates.txt file.)
To download the taxrates.txt file:
- Simply right click on the above taxrates.txt or taxrates_current.txt file,
- Click “Save As” or “Save Target As”,
- Save the file to your hard drive.
- The comma delimited file can be imported into Excel or a database, OR
- Change the file extension from txt to csv and the file will automatically open in Excel when double-clicked.